Community Efforts Building Success
American Legion McSween-Johnston Post 73, Picayune, MS is collecting disaster relief supplies to deliver to affected communities in Texas or Louisiana. Picayune Legionnaires will send a load of supplies out on Wednesday if all goes to plan. External factors like weather or the Highway Patrol may prevent the trip. The Post will continue to wait and collect supplies until the time comes when they can get them to the post.
Relief items needed include:
- Diapers (all sizes)
- Baby wipes
- Powdered baby formula
- Boudreaux’s Butt Paste
- Feminine pads and tampons
- Heavy-duty power cords
- Shop vacs
- Power tools
- Chain Saws
- Heavy-duty work gloves
- Solar USB chargers
- Batteries (AAA, AA, C and D)
- Liquid Mold Remover such as Concrobium, Mold Armor, or JOMAX.
- UPDATED: No slip bathmats for elderly
- UPDATED: All diabetic supplies, lancets, syringes, test strips, alcohol wipes
Donations can be made through the Legion. Receipts can be collected from wait staff for purchases made e made by cash or check. Receipts are available at the Post. Money collected will be used to purchase $50 gift cards to give to Legionnaires we can identify in the disaster area who have unmet needs.
What should I donate?
When you are looking for items to BUY to send to people how are in donations, please also consider the following:
1. One high quality item may often provide more benefit than two cheaper versions of an item. It is often a waste of money to buy the cheapest item in a selection. Diapers are a great example.
2. Donating items “by the case” makes both shipping and distribution more efficient.
Next Wednesday seems like a realistic goal to be able to move supplies westward. I spoke to an officer with the American Legion Department of Texas who informed me that they are moving their operations from Austin to Houston, but do not anticipate being able to occupy the building there until Saturday because of water surrounding the building.
We will speak again next Tuesday to discuss any more specific needs from local posts that will likely arise.
McSween-Johnston Post 73 is located at 2500 Union School Rd, Picayune. Any inquiries about this program should be directed to the Post Commander at the email address email@example.com or 601-798-9868.